Tailbacks leave thousands in gridlock across the East Coast as two million are told to flee deadly hurricane Matthew as it kills 102 and prepares to hit the US TODAY
- Hurricane Matthew is expected to hit southern Florida late this evening and move up the East Coast
- Powerful storm claimed at least 102 lives as it ripped through Haiti and the Dominican Republic on Tuesday
- The storm intensified to a 'catastrophic' Category Four this morning with sustained winds of 140mph
- National Weather Service has advised 'loss of life' and 'immense human suffering' is possible
- Approximately seven million people could be left without power and some areas left 'uninhabitable'
- Two million people in the US have been urged to evacuate their homes in preparation for a 'direct hit'
- Gov. Scott warned Florida warns that the storm 'is going to kill people' after declaring a state emergency
- South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley said only 175,000 have evacuated so far, warning 'that's not enough'
- Eerie satellite images of Matthew over Haiti show the storm forming a grinning skull with glowing red eye